Competitiveness Runs in the Family

Leah Wahlquist

On Monday November 7th, Fair Grove Parent Teacher Organization (PTO) held its annual Mother/Son Olympics in the elementary school. Mothers of all ages relived their younger days and seemed to thrive in an environment full of competition.
The boys showed off their strengths in several physical and mental tests as they competed in various events with their mothers. “Our goal is for PTO to offer a fun experience for moms and their sons to participate in together. We keep the entry fee low to encourage everyone to come out and have fun. These fees go to cover the cost of the event with any money leftover going to help fund gifts to the school at the end of the year,” shares Jennifer Harp, current PTO member. Although the name claims only mothers and their sons are allowed to take part, if a mother could not attend, an aunt, grandma, sister, or any other female relative was welcome to participate in this opportunity to create memories with their student. These events included the Q-Tip Blow, Life-sized Pacman, Human Hungry Hippo, Ball Toss, Balloon Relay, and Football Sweep. Although these events may not line up like your normal Olympics schedule, they are adventurous and cause the mothers and sons to be creative. Many students said their favorite was the football sweep, an event where the mothers swept a Nerf football with a broom across the gym and then handed it off to their son.
Melissa Bounous, mother of fourth grade student, David Bounous, shares, “We have participated in the Mother/Son Olympics every year David has been in elementary. My favorite part is interacting with him as well as all of the students, and just being a mom.”
This event brings families closer, just as the father/daughter dance does in the spring. Many smiles, laughs, and stories were shared at this special event, as well as a couple of friendly shoves from mothers competing for first place titles.