Fair Grove Students Continue to Help Their Community

High school boys’ basketball team shows off items they purchased for a local family. PHOTO PROVIDED BY TIM BROWN

Elias Morelan

Living in a small town usually means that everyone knows each other and they are always willing to help each other. The Fair Grove community is no stranger to coming together as one to help a local family in need. Even when a family in a neighboring town is struggling through a rough time, the people of Fair Grove still come together to raise money and assist the family in need.
Every year the students of Fair Grove Schools come together around the Christmas season to raise money and collect gifts for local families to help relieve the financial stress of making Christmas special. The school sets up an Angel Tree in the central office, which has a large number of families from around Fair Grove. The families on the tree are then up for “adoption” which means whoever “adopts” that family will be given a wishlist provided by the kids from the family. The wishlist gives the adopter an idea of what the kids want for Christmas. Many families in Fair Grove along with school clubs, organizations, and high school sports teams, “adopt” families off of the Angel Tree, looking to help make everyone in the community have a good Christmas. Assistant Principal, Christian Overstreet stated, “The students at FGHS have again stepped up to the challenge of taking care of their own community. All families who were on the Christmas tree in the Central Office have been adopted and were taken care of this Christmas season.”
While the Angel Tree is a great thing to help the community, high school clubs such as FFA, FBLA, and NHS make many other donations to help Fair Grove families Along with these clubs many sports teams go into the community to help families in need. Chris Stallings, High School Principal noted, “These fundraisers will not work without the students. This is especially true this time of year as many of our clubs and athletic teams will take on the bulk of our Angel Tree families. Students collect money and then go shopping for their adoptive families.”