FTA Thanks Teachers and Staff

Gracie+Rowden%2C+10%2C+and+President+Jacob+Buckner%2C+11%2C+pose+in+front+of+Mr.+Florez%E2%80%99s+FTA+decorated+door.%0APHOTO+PROVIDED+BY%0ABETH+MAULDIN+

Gracie Rowden, 10, and President Jacob Buckner, 11, pose in front of Mr. Florez’s FTA decorated door. PHOTO PROVIDED BY BETH MAULDIN

Mersadie Risner

Future Teachers of America, (FTA), is one of the many clubs at Fair Grove High School. The club sponsors are high school teachers Nikki Kisling and Beth Mauldin. The goal of FTA is to help introduce students to a career in teaching and to support teachers and staff.
President Jacob Buckner (11) commented, ¨FTA has helped me learn leadership skills, and how to keep kids entertained. I am able to use knowledge from FTA to help me with my kids ministry at church. A lot of what I learn when working with kids at church helps me teach the FTA members since I have some background experience.¨ Buckner has been participating in FTA since his freshman year. He became vice president his sophomore year and president his junior year.
FTA members help out with Grandparent’s Day and Parents’ Night Out, where parents can drop off their kids for a few hours of supervised fun. The students also celebrate teachers by nominating one teacher each month. High school teacher and soccer coach Joseph Florez was teacher of the month in September and added, ¨I was surprised, but it was nice to be recognized. FTA put a lot of time into decorating my room which was very thoughtful of them.¨ Seniors are able to cadet teach in the elementary school as well. Member Sydney Tidwell (12) mentioned, ¨I have been the president for one year and a member for two years. This club has helped me prepare for my future by making me a stronger leader. I enjoy being able to interact with people who have similar goals.¨
They also take the members on a local college visit each year to help the students decide where to continue their education after high school. They will be visiting College of the Ozarks in February.