FBLA Leading the Way

Stewart Hopkins

Future Business Leaders of America is a national club that focuses on advancing students’ business and social skills. This is accomplished by competing against other students in events including tests, performances, and presentations. Fair Grove has an FBLA chapter of about 100 members in grades 9-12.
Sandra Robinson is the head sponsor for Fair Grove’s FBLA chapter and says, “It is important to join FBLA because students can gain important knowledge and skills that will assist them in their future career.” To join FBLA a student must pay the ten dollar dues and attend the meetings on the first Wednesday of every month. Once a student becomes a member of FBLA they can participate in any competitions or activities that are hosted by FBLA. One event that is put on twice a year by the Fair Grove FBLA is the community blood drives. There are two blood drives per year, one in the winter and one in the spring, and they are run by The Community Blood Center of the Ozarks and worked by members of Fair Grove FBLA.
FBLA also holds district, state, and national competitions every year. Students can take a test, make a presentation, or participate in a performance event. All students go to districts and based on their performance they can advance and go to state and then on to nationals. FBLA president and senior, Leah Wahlquist says “I recommend joining FBLA because it is a great opportunity to advance your business skills, form relationships with various people groups, and help others by volunteering time or effort.”
Students who take a test go to districts and attend workshops to learn more about how to be an affective part of a business and wait to see if their test scored high enough to advance. Students who are in a performance event perform during this time, and students who have made presentations submit them for grading.