Girls’ Indoor Soccer Runs Through the Season

Maegan Holland (12) dribbles the ball during indoor soccer game. PHOTO BY NEWSPAPER STAFF

Bailey Chandler

At Fair Grove High School many sports are offered to the students, some including football, volleyball, baseball, and soccer. Along with soccer, an indoor soccer program is offered to the students that would like to participate.
The indoor season is started off by splitting anyone who is interested among two teams, purple and white. This year there was a total of 25 girls who played. The girls practice on Tuesday nights from six to seven in the upper elementary gymnasium. The girls also run on Mondays and Thursdays to help them with all the running during their games. The girls have games on Saturdays at Lake Country in Springfield. The team has four games left before the indoor season comes to an end and the outdoor spring season begins.
Many of the girls who are looking into playing soccer in the Spring will first play indoor during the winter to get some experience. Sydney Dame, freshman at Fair Grove High School, plays right and left wing. ¨I hope to gain the skills to be a good player when it comes to the spring season,” she noted. The head coach for the outdoor Spring season, high school English teacher, Joseph Florez also explains, ¨Indoor soccer helps prepare the girls for the Spring outdoor season by allowing them to get real in-game experience. You can do all the drills and training you want, and those things are important too, but nothing replaces the experience of playing the sport with your teammates, and building that team chemistry, and that’s what indoor allows them to do.¨