Middle School Art Club Paints Bright Future For Artists

Students work on clay pinch pots after school at an art club meeting. PHOTO BY BAILEY CHANDLER

Bailey Chandler

At Fair Grove Schools the students have many options for clubs that they may join. All students are highly encouraged to join one or two clubs through the year. As for middle school, they have many new options this year brought to the table.
The middle school has a new art teacher this year, Sandy Gilpin. Gilpin is in charge of the middle school art club. They meet every Wednesday after school until 4:30. Mrs Gilpin explained, “We do a lot of different things. Some Wednesdays we do what we call an open art studio, where the kids have choices on what they want to do.” They also have that free time during art club to finish all the projects that they are assigned in class. Sometimes the kids will get to use material that they don’t usually get to use in class, such as clay. They have used clay to make clay whistles this year. Some kids who don’t have the option to have art, like band kids, use Art Club to their advantage. Kids are allowed to bring in food and drinks, or they are allowed to buy things from Mrs. Gilpin to snack on while at art club. “Art club is very relaxing, and I enjoy getting to work with the kids in a different setting and seeing some kids that I don’t have in class,” Gilpin noted.
Art Club is offered to fifth through eighth graders. Hadie Wingo is in fifth grade and she goes to art club every Wednesday. She explained, “I like when we start new projects. My favorite project we have done this year is the clay whistles.” She also plans on being in art club every year and even on into high school. To join art club all that is required is to attend meetings on Wednesdays. For more information contact Sandy Gilpin.