A Day of Rest or a Day of Stress

Mrs. Lemon talks to book club members on club day. PHOTO BY JAYDEN KENSINGER

Amanda Orr

Club Day happens on the first Wednesday of every month. On this day the Fair Grove high school students get out of certain hours during the day depending on what clubs they are in. There is a controversial debate though on whether or not Club Day is a good thing or not.
For some kids Club Day is the time of day that they enjoy and have fun. The students like the fact that they can go to their clubs during the day. Students have sports or other activities that prevent them from going to a club before or after school. Ashley Gravitt (11), says, “I like the fact that I can get out of class to go to my club because I wouldn’t have any other time to go to all of them.” It would also be very difficult for kids who are involved in multiple clubs to go to all of them during other scheduled times. It is a lot easier for those kids just to have it on one day. Also, club sponsors appreciate the time they get during school because it gives them a chance to have more students show up for their club meeting.
On the other hand, kids and teachers feel that Club Day can be a big stresser. The kids that have advanced/hard classes don’t always have the option to go to the clubs they want to. The students need to stay in class so they don’t miss any work, so they can take a test, or so they don’t miss any other information that the teacher is giving. Ashlee Gallinger (10), states, “It’s stressful to leave for my club when I know I’m missing class time.” Club Day also messes with teachers’ schedules. The teacher’s class gets interrupted with students leaving to go to their clubs. Mrs. Johnson, history teacher and club sponsor says, “Club Day makes the hours with larger clubs harder on my students that are missing, but altogether Club Day is a good thing for the students.”
Students shouldn’t have to feel the stress of missing valuable class time. At the same time Club Day offers the kids a day to go to all of their club meetings. Overall I feel that Club Day is a good system that’s been put in place at Fair Grove. It’s only once a month which is enough time for most of the clubs to meet. Club Day for the majority of the students is a positive and productive day.