Middle School Chess Club Making All The Right Moves

MS student plays against classmate during a chess club meeting. PHOTO BY BRYSTOL BATES

Brystol Bates

Every Tuesday after school, from 3 pm to 4 pm the Fair Grove Middle School Chess Club meets in the cafeteria to play. The club is open to students in 5th through 12th grades and is sponsored by Middle School English Teacher Donna Wilson. “I love the game of chess; it is a challenging game with lots of strategy and thought. I have also always enjoyed the eclectic group of students who join chess club,” stated Mrs. Wilson.
The club members love getting the opportunity to learn more about chess and improve their game. Chess Club is also a good way for them to spend time and have fun playing against their friends every week. Trysten Steele says, “I enjoy Chess Club because it’s a fun way to hang with my friends. Playing chess is a good way to spend time; it is a good strategy game.”
The students play for points during each club meeting and try to play as many games as they can within the time limit. Then at the end of the week the students are ranked according to their scores. “I really like watching students grow as players as they get older; maybe not knowing how to play very well in 5th grade, but becoming excellent players as they get older. We also have a lot of great competition between our top players,” metioned Wilson.
“I recommend that other people join chess club, it is a good way to end the school day after a full day of stress and hard work. You get to hang out with your friends and try to beat each other in a fun game,” added Steele.
The Chess Club also gets the opportunity to participate in one tournament in March; unfortunately this year the tournament was canceled.