A Little Town Makes a Big Impact

Kelsey Brunkhorst (12) has her blood drawn. PHOTO BY CODY SISCO

Cody Sisco

On December 6th, 2016 the Community Blood Center of the Ozarks held a blood drive at Fair Grove high school in the FEMA building. The blood drive started at ten in the morning and ended at three in the afternoon. All of those who participated in the community blood drive received a free t-shirt. Fair Grove holds this event twice a year, once in the Fall and again in the Spring. Anyone who missed donating blood this past Fall can sign up in the Spring to help save someone’s life.
Donating blood is a great way to help others in need. It gives students an opportunity to do something good in their community. Autumn Wilson (12) stated, “I wanted to save three lives!” The number one reason participants choose to donate is wanting to help others, according to the American Red Cross. Donating blood gives students a good feeling about themselves, a sense that they did something that is good to help someone who is less fortunate.
The Community Blood Center of the Ozarks travels to more than 150 schools in the area and many of the schools donate blood three times a year. According to their website, nearly one-fourth of blood collected from donors in the community comes from high school blood drives alone. Schools can also compete with rival schools and help build participation and school spirit. Donating blood can be a scary experience, but in the end it’s for a good cause and helps many people. Reflecting on her first time giving blood, Wilson explains, “It was scary at first but I was proud of what I did and gave blood.”
Fair Grove FBLA was in charge of the whole process. The club executed the event from hanging flyers attempting to receive more participants to helping set up the gymnasium. Once students or adults were done donating, the school provided snacks and drinks for the donors to refuel. The next blood drive Fair Grove High School will be hosting is on May 1, 2017, and will be located at the school.