The Fair Grove Origami Club

Thomas Bruemmer

Mrs. Richardson teaches middle school students origami.

Thomas Bruemmer

Clubs are a large aspect of the Fair Grove high school, that most student like to partake in. The idea of clubs has been growing for years, and is not solely entitled to the high school, but has also taken root in the middle school. One of the lesser-known clubs in the middle school, is the middle school Origami Club.

The supervising teacher over this club is the sixth grade science teacher, Mrs. Richardson. Being such a small club, that averages about four to seven people a week, the promotion for this club consists of word of mouth advertisement, and flyers hanging around the middle school that also advertise Origami Club. “To promote Origami Club, we have posters throughout the middle school hallways, as well as word of mouth advertisement,” stated Richardson. Because the roots of the art of paper folding, and the word ‘Origami’ can be traced back to Japan, the Origami club can be a fun way to learn about the history of origami, and creates ties between this ancient japanese art form, and Fair Grove’s students.

The History of origami may be extensive, but cultural awareness is not the only thing students can learn from the club. According to Mrs. Richardson, the students can gain many beneficial educational skills. Richardson said, “The benefits of origami club is that it engages students, and develops many educational skill such as behavioral skills, cooperative learning, a link to math, cognitive development, multicultural awareness, and community building.” Being the third year that Origami Club has been active, It is actually lead by a student, Nola Leick (8). Mrs. Richardson included, “My favorite part of this club is that it is a student led club, and I enjoy watching leadership skills forming along with peer collaboration, and Teamwork.