FFA Returns to National Convention

Brystol Bates

On October 25, select students from Fair Grove’s FFA chapter, earned their way on a trip to the FFA National Convention. On Wednesday morning they got onto a tour bus with other local FFA members; this allowed them to interact with students from other FFA chapters. Each year the convention is held in Indianapolis, Indiana; while there the students got to see a Rascal Flatts concert and they listened to a speech by Lela Ali, boxing champion. Mattie Cobban (12) said, “The concert was awesome, the rodeo was entertaining, and the zoo was truly unique, but my favorite part was getting know the members in the chapter more. Going from people we go to school with to friends in a club together.”

The students also got to see Fair Grove High School graduates and American Degree Recipients, Evan Berry and Brittany Lawless, receive their awards for outstanding SAE project and records. Mike Stockton, FFA sponsor, said, “Seeing other members receive their American Degree and hearing of other teams who get to compete at the national level gives them something to strive for.”

The National Convention trip is a great way for the students to get involved and gain perspective as to what FFA is truly about. Cobban said, “National Convention is such unique trip because you get to meet other FFA chapters from all across the nation! The four or so days we are in Indianapolis we are constantly busy, whether it’s the career show, listening to career shows, or the zoo. It is an action packed trip.”

Not only is the trip fun, but it is also a new experience for many of the kids. The trip also allows for the kids to manage time and money on their own without parent help. Mr. Stockton stated, “It is an opportunity for our FFA members to see the National Convention which was first held in K.C., Missouri and be a part of the largest youth organization in the world by taking part in sessions, a career show, and mingle with 65,000 FFA members from all across the United States.”