• September 19We will be posting new articles weekly all school year!

• October 8Welcome To The FGHS News Website

Character Council Works to Better Middle School

Back to Article
Back to Article

Taylor Brumage

At Fair Grove Middle School, Character Council is the junior version of the High School Student council. The middle schoolers plan and organize social events, promote school sponsored events, spirit, and provide student autonomy. Shawnda Minor, Middle School Instructional Coach/ Math Teacher at FGMS is the sponsor for the Middle School Character Council. Mrs. Minor is also the Middle School Math Team Sponsor.

In order for the students to be a part of character council, the students are expected to be leaders and role models. They are required to submit an application, which includes an essay on the students abilities and goals as well as teacher evaluations. Currently in the 2017-2018 school year, there are 21 middle school students in grades 6-8 serving as a role model to the other students as an active member of Character Council. The members consist of 4-6 representatives of each grade including a few officers.

This year, the students have organized the annual Middle School Fall Carnival, donated $1000 to the Heart-2-Heart organization and helped organize Christmas food baskets for over 25 of the local families. The students have also sponsored Main Street Cafe, with the proceeds benefiting various Middle School Programs, and monthly student-led lessons/ activities to promote the various Character Traits the Council intends to spread throughout the student body.

“I absolutely adore the kids! Most of them spend 3 or more years with me, and we develop quite a bond. I get to see them grow from quiet 5th/6th graders to upstanding leaders who the other students look up to and respect,” Mrs. Minor states. Currently the students are working on the February Character Trait- Service. They are putting together a video to promote giving back to the community, and will be holding a “service” fundraiser for Valentine’s Day. The Character Council will be spending an evening at Convoy of Hope helping organize the warehouse to lead by example. They are also working on the upcoming MS Spring Bash, and the end of the year annual Field Day.

This year the Character Council has 6 representatives; President is Macee McAtee (8), Vice President Zoey Hupman (8), Secretary Lydia Engel (8), Communications Caitlyn Conrad (8), Treasurer McKenzie Chandler (8), Spirit Bradi Weaver (8) and Paige Robinson (8).

“These students put in a lot of hours and hard work. From decorating the school, leading activities, assisting with various other service opportunities, fundraising, to maintaining good grades, and positive attitudes. There is a lot of behind the scenes work that goes on to make all of the things we participate in a success,” States Minor. “I’m blessed to work with such a great group!” Minor adds.