No Tricks, All Treats for Fair Grove Elementary

Mrs. McKeever’s class enjoys their Halloween party

Natalie Anglen

The annual Elementary Halloween parade at Fair Grove took place Wednesday, October 31st at 2 o’clock during which students paraded throughout the middle school and high school hallways with their costumes on, and smiles beaming. Following the parade, all elementary classrooms were filled with spooky treats and delicious sweets for their Halloween parties until the end of the school day. With a mix of spooky students and proud parents, there is no wonder that this event has become an annual tradition over the years.

On Halloween, the elementary teachers try their hardest to teach lessons like any regular school day, however, much excitement is always anticipated. This year, students began putting on their costumes at 1:30 as parents arrived to see join the fun. Then, around 2, the students started their journey through the middle school and then the high school, from youngest to oldest. Dylan Roberts, a 4th grade student at Fair Grove Elementary, expressed his favorite part of participating in the Halloween festivities, “I think the parade is fun because I get to see a lot of my brother’s friends.”

The parade gives elementary students the opportunity to gain support and appreciation from the upperclassmen whilst expressing their imaginative creativity through their specific costume choices. It encourages them to assert their individuality, which is a very crucial and influential message.

Once the parade had concluded, students then returned to finish off the festivities with a classroom party full of fun treats and activities. Most students were then supplied with candy, cookies, and plenty of other spooky goodies. Though there is no specific person in charge of the parties, the parents of the kids within each particular classroom are in charge of planning what to personally bring. 4th grade teacher, Jessica McKeever, commented on the importance of the Halloween fun, “It’s been a tradition for many years. It’s really important to the students, they look forward to it.”

For her, however, the best part is getting the opportunity to see her former students up in the middle school and high school. Over her twelve years teaching at Fair Grove, there has never not been a Halloween parade. The same goes for Elementary Principal, Charity Hollan. According to her, “Fair Grove Elementary has been doing the costume parade and fall parties for as long as I can remember. It is a long standing tradition.”

With 95% participation, there is no denying that this is one of the most eventful and popular days of the whole year for the elementary students and staff at Fair Grove. All in all, it seems safe to assume that this year’s annual Halloween Parade was a complete success.