Burgers, Custard, and Summer Oh My!

Nicolas Hamp

Autumn Stewart, a senior at Fair Grove High School, has worked at the well known fast food restaurant, Culvers, from the end of last school year to now in order to earn a few extra dollars.

Culvers, which is well known for their burgers and custard, is quite used to hiring high school students. “There are a lot of high schoolers there, at least 10 of us,” explained Stewart. She also mentioned that their youngest worker is around 13-14.

In addition to being open to hiring students, Culvers is also very schedule friendly. Stewart explained the process of scheduling your weeks on an app, and how one of her peers only works weekends due to practices. “They like you to have a decent availability, that’s all,” Stewart commented.

On top of flexible scheduling, it seems that the pay is generous as well. “I get pretty decent sized checks for how much I work,” described Stewart. She also explained that her job is not difficult either. Although, like jobs are expected to be, it can get very slow (and boring) during the winter. According to Stewart, “No one likes to get frozen custard in the cold.” 

Another aspect that Stewart likes about her job at Culvers is the kindness of her co-workers and customers. “It’s a really good environment and everyone there is super friendly,” she said. When adding up the pros of easy scheduling, great pay, and a great environment, Stewart thinks it was a great choice to decide to work there.