The Cafe is Open for Business

November 17, 2021

Matthew Cockroft (12) stocking the school store/cafe during 8th hour.

The NHS Cafe has officially opened behind the concession stand in the High School. It opens at 7:30 AM until school starts, and reopens after school until 4:30. 

National Honor Society is run by Amy Johnson, a teacher at Fair Grove High School. They are particular in who gets to participate in NHS, as students have to have a GPA of 3.5 or higher and be able to maintain it. Johnson gets to choose who is able to take part of NHS, as she is the sponsor. Johnson explained, “Each student is required to complete service hours as part of maintaining their membership status – along with keeping a cumulative GPA of 3.5.”

The cafe has been around for a few years. Johnson shared, “We started the Coffee Shop in 2015 as a way to benefit the students in the morning/afternoons.  Now we have opened up half of our space for the school store to share the space.”

The Cafe is serving a variety of goods this year. Including Texas cinnamon rolls, pre-packaged candies, and Little Debbies cakes. They are also making fresh tea and coffee to serve each morning. For the past couple years, they’ve served bagels that everyone enjoyed, but Kristyn Muncy (11) stated, “Because of (COVID), we’re not allowed to do our bagels that everyone loved.” 

NHS uses their profit to help different service projects each year. Some profits go towards the Cafe to purchase more goods, and others go towards their adopted families at Christmas. Before this year, NHS would visit the Ronald McDonald house once a month and cook dinners. Some of their money also gets donated to local charities and organizations. 

Due to COVID, the Cafe is trying their best to take as many precautions as possible to keep anything from spreading. They stopped selling their famous bagels that the school loved, and are now vending pre-packaged snack cakes.