Preparing for Prom

April 8, 2022

Fair Grove Prom in 2019 (picture provided by Newspaper Staff).

With the Fair Grove High School Prom approaching on May 7th, 2022 at The Veranda, students are making preparations to be prepared to dance the night away.

Prom is typically held near the end of the school year before graduation. In some cases, there may be an individual junior prom along with an individual senior prom or they may be combined. However, Fair Grove’s prom is a combined 11th  and 12th grade.

At a prom, a prom king and a prom queen may be revealed. These are honorary titles awarded to students elected in a school-wide vote at prom. The selection method for a prom court is similar to that of homecoming queens and princesses. The prom queen and prom king is usually given crowns to wear throughout the night.

A promposal is a popular pre-prom tradition where a student asks another to go to the prom with them using some usually elaborate method and extra fanfare. Promposals may include concepts and materials from posters, confetti, and balloons to the more viral, elaborate plans that give promposals their extravagant reputation. An example of this may include spelling “Prom?” with pepperoni on pizza and presenting it to whomever you wish to go to the dance with.

Prom typically has a semi-formal black tie or informal suit for dress code for boys and evening gown dress code for girls.

Buying a prom dress is not only a large task, but it is also an expensive one. The average prom dress can range anywhere from $100 to $600. The most common places to buy a dress in Springfield, MO are Normans Bridal, David’s Bridal, Windsor, The Dress and Bridal Boutique, MK Bridal, and many stores in The Battlefield Mall.

Savannah James, an employee at Windsor (located in the Battlefield Mall), stated, “This time of year the store is constantly packed with high school students that are trying to find a prom dress. Our store has so many options and it can be quite overwhelming for some girls when they walk into such a crowd, but other girls really thrive in the chaos. Our dresses can be as cheap as $60 and others can get into the $600 range.”

Another employee from Windsor shared, “I work on the side of ordering dresses and figuring out what might sell best in our store. My job is to see what our customers are into and like this year and keeping that in stock in the store in multiple sizes.”

There is so much thought that goes into prom that many don’t see. The stress of getting a dress that is nice, but also affordable and doesn’t break the bank, getting a date, and maybe wanting to be king or queen.