High School Choir Buckles Down for the Upcoming Year

Claire Foster, Feature Page Editor

Concerts, contests, solos, districts, a trip to DC and more; that is what the Fair Grove high school choir has on their plates for the 2014-2015 school year. Ms. Audra Dierkson, the high school choir teacher, is working hard to prepare her students. Ms. Dierkson teaches the pieces using several methods; including, working with just the boy group, then working with just the girl group, in an effort to fix the mistakes that pertain only to that specific group, then she puts them together to sing as a whole choir. She explains that since they have several pieces to work on she tries not to focus on any certain piece for an entire day, “…unless it needs a lot of work.” Ms. Dierkson elaborates that they, “…will warm up and sight read before we start, then we work on the pieces for the remaining time in class.”

Currently the choir is working on two pieces, Homeward Bound and Omnia Sol by Z. Randall Stroope. Omnia Sol is one of the pieces they will be performing on their trip to Washington DC this summer. For many students in the choir, including Chauncey Miller (11) and Rebecca Staley (9), this will be their first trip with the choir and their first trip to our nation’s capital. Both Miller and Staley are very excited for this trip. Staley accounts, “I’m looking forward to being able to perform.” However, Ms Dierkson is excited for the trip because it provides opportunities for exciting goals.

“Hopefully we will perform at a national monument. We will be going to the Smithsonian and we are looking into the possibility of getting a White House tour,” revealed Ms. Dierkson.

Ms. Dierkson’s only concern for the choir this year is that they have graduated seven seniors. “…Now we have a lot of 8th graders so we are a young choir.” Sierra Gentry (12) feels reassured though, “I feel like we will do good as a choir… we have a lot of freshmen that are really good.”

Yet, with all that the choir has in their path, Gentry is nervous to sing in front of judges. Ms. Dierkson provides this advice for anyone with a similar fear, “It can be difficult to sing in front of people. I still get nervous when I sing in front of a group… I was told to pick a spot on the back wall, just above the audiences head so it looked like I was looking at the audience.”

The choir’s fall concert is on October 10th. The hard work in and out of class will continue until then and throughout the remainder of the year.