Corona Strikes Again

October 23, 2020

A FGHS classroom with students wearing their mask

Fair Grove has been affected with students being quarantined and up to this point, there have been 70 people in the high school on official quarantine, and several students have been quarantined for a second time.

It has been an odd year for both students and teachers. It’s been bizarre having to social distance, wear masks, and having to do online schooling when needed. Mr. Stallings, the high school principal, said, “From my perspective we have done the best possible job given the circumstances. I can’t say enough about how our teachers have stepped up to do whatever they can to reach our students on quarantine.” Whenever a large number of students quarantine it creates a few more obstacles for a teacher. Teachers now have to prepare a google meet with the correct notes and google classroom pages so that students can stay up to date with the class. 

Quarantine procedures have been based on CDC recommendations. These recommendations consider close contact to be anyone within a 6 feet radius of a positive case. The school cannot act until they receive documentation of a positive case. Once there has been a positive case reported, there will be a process of going through seating charts, attendance records and measurements to determine who must be quarantined along with the person who has tested positive. 

“Early on I decided that I wouldn’t fight the changes we have to make for this year, but instead, have a growth mindset and do whatever was needed to continue teaching students, either at school or virtually,” said Mr. Carroll, the high school history teacher. Mr. Carroll also went on to say, “It seems like it’s taking longer to get to know students this year. The masks and social distancing provide a bit of a barrier to that, but I’ve realized I have been making my best effort to get to know everyone.”