Preparation of Fair Grove Seniors

November 4, 2020

Photo of senior murals in Fair Grove High School

Seniors usually take their final year of high school to decide what they want to do after graduation and use the school system to get help and look into colleges.

Tonya Peck, the high school counselor, helps students look into colleges and shows them things that they may not know about ahead of time. Peck stated, “Right now the seniors have access to a google classroom that I have created. Here I put announcements, links, scholarship opportunities, etc.”

There are many differences and or requirements when getting accepted to a college or when looking into a college. “Importances for seniors right now are finalizing their attempts at taking the ACT, applying to colleges, and transcript requests,” said Tonya Peck. Most college applications are due from December-February.

When thinking about colleges as a senior in high school, there are main eye catchers. Maybe the size of a school or a first glance at the campus makes the difference. Peck helps students consider different colleges, and when the students seriously consider one, they usually have a chance to visit the college.

Peck said, “Currently we are talking about the FAFSA and also the option that students have to take virtual tours at the different colleges.” FAFSA (the Free Application for Federal Student Aid) is a form completed by current and prospective college students in the United States to determine their eligibility for student financial aid. The virtual college visits are due to COVID-19, and are new options that give the students a chance to look around the colleges they may be interested in.