NHS’s Holiday Season

December 17, 2020

The NHS members that contributed to helping put together Shoeboxes for Soldiers.

This holiday season, Fair Grove High School’s National Honors Society (NHS) has been busy with preparations to give back to the community by volunteering their time to families in need.

NHS is a club at Fair Grove High School that is only offered to selected students. The criteria for NHS is you have to be a junior or senior at Fair Grove with a GPA of 3.5 or higher that has to be sustained throughout your high school career. Students who meet these requirements then have to fill out an application which is reviewed by Amy Johnson, the clubs sponsor. Johnson then decides who meets all of the requirements and who doesn’t. 

The club’s main focus is devoting time to the community and promoting good character. Amy Johnson explained, “NHS allows students to have many opportunities for community service, gain an understanding of the needs of our community, and become people that give back to their community.”

Not only do members of NHS give to the community, but NHS gives back to its members. Lauren Kennard, an officer of NHS stated, “NHS has given me opportunities to help and serve others that I wouldn’t have gotten the chance to do otherwise.She went on to say that even the smallest acts of kindness can make a difference in someone’s life.

Recently NHS has done something to kick off the holiday season. “NHS put together some boxes for Shoeboxes for Soldiers. We collected money, some of our members went out and bought supplies, and then we packed the boxes up with some encouraging notes,” explained Kennard. For Christmas, NHS is also planning on adopting an Angel Tree Family in hope of making Christmas better for families in need.

Although this year has brought several challenges, NHS is getting past them one at a time to help contribute to helping the community. Johnson stated, “I am excited for students to learn to love to give and how important it is for people in our community to support one another.”