New Mexico Mission Trip

February 25, 2021

Photo of JOLT sponsor, Jon Foster, addressing students at a 2018 JOLT meeting.

The New Mexico mission trip is being led by Jon Foster, a teacher at Fair Grove High School, over spring break.

A mission trip is a trip in which people of Christian belief go to a different place or a country and devote their time to help the people in the area who are in need. On a mission trip there can be any amount of missionaries going to help out. On the New Mexico mission trip, there will be about fourteen people going to New Mexico. 

On these trips, people can do many things to help out the community, such as help build buildings and other projects; they can also help teach people about Jesus. “We went to an orphanage and helped lay down concrete and painted buildings. We also made lots of burritos, bought a bunch of umbrellas, bibles and water to help pass out at this place called Paper Town. Paper Town was a really poor city and their houses were made of literal trash and paper,” said Hailey Hulette (11). Hailey went on the last mission trip, which was two years ago. The 2020 mission trip was cancelled due to COVID-19.

The New Mexico mission trip is taking place at a Navajo reservation, which is located in three different states: Utah, Arizona, and New Mexico. The Navajo reservation is a Native American reservation. “We will be staying in the camp where we will be working,” stated Anna Newlin (11).

The New Mexico mission trip will not just be mission work; the students get to enjoy their time doing other activities as well. “Besides the mission work we plan on doing, I’m excited to meet new people and do something for someone other than myself,” Zoey Hupman stated (11), whose first time going on a mission trip is this year.

“Last time I really enjoyed going out into the city and seeing all the shops. It was really cool to see the culture and taste the amazing food,” stated Hailey Hulette.