New Faces To The Visuals Of Marching Band

March 8, 2021

Fair Grove High School Students participating in the Color Guard Clinic.

During the week of March the second, students grades 8th-11th auditioned for the 2021 Fair Grove Color Guard. 

The color guard is a group of individuals that add to the visual elements of marching bands by spinning flags, rifles, and sabers. The marching band can exist without a color guard, however the color guard aids in a visual aspect for the band. Audra Harmon, the guard instructor stated, “The guard also helps tell the story. It is hard for the band to convey what’s happening in the story while they are playing instruments, so we rely on the color guard to show the story.”

During this week, students will learn the basics of the color guard, including how to hold the flag, jazz walk and run, spinning the flag, tossing, and finally they learn the choreography for the school’s fight song. Dory Baker, one of last year’s captains, said, “Guard is difficult and everyone learns differently and at different paces. It takes time and work, but in the end you can learn any skill and ultimately it is worth all of it.”

Harmon commented, “We had intended to change that a little this year, but with the snow days that changed very quickly.” 

Every year the clinics/tryouts are led by students who are applying to be the next season’s captains. These captains work with the new and returning students to help them get ready for the audition process. Baker explained, “I expect the future captains to continue to push the team and encourage them to challenge themselves. Most importantly I expect them to make it a fun and safe environment for the new members to learn.”