Fair Grove Students Getting a Head Start

March 10, 2021

Fair Grove High School

Fair Grove High School students have the opportunity to study at Ozark Technical Community College during school hours, from 12 P.M. to 3 P.M. Students who attend will spend their first three hours at Fair Grove, and the rest of the time at OTC.

Why do students go to OTC? Miracle Tracy (11) explains why she goes to OTC. “I chose to go to OTC because it is a hands on learning program with lots of options. The hours you put in go towards both high school and college, and that is important to me. This was also a way for me to explore the field of work I was wanting to get into before making a big costly decision after high school.” Other students have said that they wanted to get a feel for college, and that it would give them an opportunity to see what jobs they are interested in.

OTC can also benefit students in many different ways after they graduate high school. You get to pave a path into the direction you want your life to go. You are able to get a foot into the door of the professional world while being able to get college experience, college credits and high school credits.

Students claim they enjoy OTC, and say they are treated like adults, and have a lot more freedom on campus. They said you are able to get your work done when you need/want to. Lots of students have also said there’s tons of opportunities on campus. Tracy said, “I have achieved getting my CNA which enables me to work in a hospital or assisted living facility, and I have not even graduated high school yet!”

Most recommend you going to OTC if there is a program there that will benefit your future career. Tracy said, “OTC while in high school is not for everybody, but I would recommend giving it a try because it is a very fulfilling experience that can open you to so many opportunities. If you plan on going to OTC after high school I would really urge you towards it, so you can get an idea of where you are going and what it is really like. You can get a taste of the career path you are interested in and change your mind before it is too late. It is free college! The school pays for your transportation, tuition, and books. So why not?”