Seniors in the A+ Program

April 28, 2021

Nate Brigman, a senior, helping his A+ class.

The A+ program is a program available to seniors at Fair Grove which offers money for use at local colleges in exchange for time spent helping students in elementary classrooms.

Two students involved in this program are Nathaniel Brigman and Erin Blevins. Brigman helps out in Mrs. Arnold’s class, while Blevins aids Mrs. McKinney, both of which are kindergarten teachers.

Both Blevins and Brigman decided to do A+ mainly because it was a different option. Neither of them needed a lot of credits, and so they chose to do A+ because it seemed interesting.

A typical day in the classroom may involve many different activities. “Typically Mrs. Arnold has a task or two for me to do each day. Sometimes it’s testing the kids on something, or others it’s helping her out with decorations in the classroom, just depends on the day,” Brigman said. He usually spends the rest of his time there interacting with the children and helping them with any assignments they get stuck on.

Blevins also assists the children with their work, but she especially enjoys entering the classroom and getting to have some play time. “I go in and about 15 five year olds are at my feet,” Blevins exclaimed.

Her favorite thing about A+ is the kids. “They are so much fun to be around,” Blevins stated. Brigman’s favorite part of doing A+ is simply interacting with the kids and having conversations with them. Both of them really enjoy getting to know and form bonds with the children.

The A+ program can also teach students valuable lessons. Brigman said it has taught him how to be more patient, while Blevins said she learned, “…How amazing the mind of a child really is.”

After graduation, Brigman plans to attend Southwest Baptist University to pursue a career as a high school history teacher. Blevins plans to attend Paul Mitchell The School in St. Louis, and get certified as an esthetician.