The Start of a New Year

April 29, 2021

Mrs. MacKenny’s kindergarten class during reading time.

At the end of every school year in Fair Grove, the school starts bringing in new students for kindergarten.

The first step of school education is making sure that all of the students are prepared enough to succeed in the following school year. 

When a school starts bringing in new students they put them through a series of tests to make sure the student will pass. In the early stages of school this means screening. The American Psychological Association states, “Kindergarten screening is a way to gauge your child’s current functioning and growth. It is a brief evaluation or assessment of several developmental domains of functioning in young children that typically takes place prior to the beginning of kindergarten.”

As a parent, making sure your child is properly prepared can be a scary experience, as well as seeing your child grow into the next stage of life. Mr. Holt, a high school teacher that just enrolled his kid into kindergarten said, “This time as a parent is stressful making sure that my wife and I have prepared our son enough. It’s also quite exciting seeing my child have the opportunity for a better more personalized education.”

Not every school district has kindergarten screening which can be an important part of the district’s education. The American Psychological Association mentioned, “Kindergarten screening is important as a prevention or early intervention tool to determine which young children are at risk for developmental, behavioral, or academic difficulties. Like a routine physical check-up with a pediatrician, a kindergarten screening is designed to pick up any ‘signals’ of potential learning or behavioral difficulties before they increase in frequency, intensity, or duration.”