Foster Leaves Fair Grove

April 28, 2021

+Mr.+Foster%2C+science+teacher+at+Fair+Grove+High+School.

Mr. Foster, science teacher at Fair Grove High School.

Beloved science teacher of 24 years at Fair Grove High School, Jon Foster, is leaving Fair Grove Schools after the 2020-2021 school year ends to move to Oak Park High School in Kansas City, MO.

Foster has taught biology, chemistry, and physics at Fair Grove. He has headed several clubs and activities over the years, including Students Against Destructive Decisions (S.A.D.D.), a year of coaching JV basketball, JOLT, a year of student council (STUCO), and Gym, Pray, Donuts (G.P.D.). 

Foster is now transferring to Oak Park High School to teach chemistry, but that’s not the main reason he’s leaving. “Both my kids (son, daughter in law (with grandbaby) and daughter) are now in KC and I would like to be closer to them,” Foster shared. He said that what he will miss most about Fair Grove is the community.

Principal of Fair Grove High School, Chris Stallings, says that he will miss everything about Mr. Foster. “I don’t think you can even begin to measure the impact Mr. Foster has had on the students at Fair Grove High School over the last two decades,” Stallings told. “If you attended Fair Grove High School, then you know the impact he had on our school and the students that attended here.”

Stallings reminisces on the years of Foster teaching at Fair Grove. “As great of a teacher that he is,” Stallings said, “it was much more about his leadership within our school and all the extras that he did to mentor and guide our students down the right path.” Many of the students at Fair Grove seem to agree.

Kyle Fritts (11) took Foster’s biology, chemistry, and physics classes. “He’s always been a solid role model for me, and I’m going to have to take his wisdom and teachings and apply them to my life without him,” Kyle divulged. Kyle mentioned that Foster’s teaching has challenged him and helped him in preparing for college classes.

Taylor Rode (10) has taken biology with Foster. Taylor said, “One very important thing I have learned from Mr. Foster is life isn’t going to hand you everything you want on a silver platter; if you want something, you have to work for it.” Taylor admires Foster’s teaching style and all the work he puts into GPD and JOLT. “He manages to teach a difficult class while keeping everyone engaged and laughing,” Taylor shared, “while still translating the information in a way that is very easy to comprehend and remember.”

Foster will be missed by many in Fair Grove. Stallings noted, “While we were blessed to have him, I am excited that a whole new school and group of students will be able to benefit from the love and passion that Mr. Foster embodies.” 

In the upcoming 2021-2022 school year, Lindsay Dunning will be moving into Foster’s old position. Stallings revealed that Nate Mallard, a 2016 graduate who is currently in his first year of teaching at Buffalo High School, will be teaching the physical science class that Dunning previously taught.

View Comments (4)

• A

Adan HassanFeb 20, 2022 at 9:43 pm

I am a student of Mr. Foster and whilst thinking about Mr. Foster and how good of a teacher he is and how much i genuinely appreciate him and his character as a person, i look up his name and i see a whole article dedicated to my chemistry teacher at Oak Park. Glad to know i am not the only person who appreciates this kind human being. Its more of a if you know, you know kind of thing. May any higher power in this world keep Mr Foster safe and prosperous!

Reply
  • J

Joellen WaldenMay 5, 2021 at 12:50 pm

Thank you for all your service to fair grove! I appreciated the standards you set for us kids and the spiritual encouragement you gave me during my time at FGHS. Love and prayers!

Reply
  • A

Andrew DorrisApr 29, 2021 at 3:11 pm

Mr Foster will go down in history as one of the greatest teachers of all time. 16 years after graduating high school, I still think about the impact he had on my life. He always believed in me, and pushed me. 16 years later, I’m getting a graduate degree from a top university and wouldn’t be where I am without teachers like him!

Reply
  • J

Jayne RayApr 29, 2021 at 12:28 pm

John you have been a great person to know and LOVE all our Kids though the years and a friend to all.wish you the every BEST.

Reply
4