Track Season Coming to an End

May 7, 2021

Esais Baird (11) running the 4×200 at a meet.

Many athletes at Fair Grove High School were excited to participate in a spring sport for their 2021 season. One spring sport many athletes take part in is track.

Track is nearly a three month long sport, depending on how the individual or team does in districts and so on. It is a great way for athletes to get in shape as they will run and condition up to two hours everyday at practice. The usual track practice consists of the same routine. Lindsay Martin, the high school girls track coach, stated, “We start with our warm ups, then our running group workout and finish with field events and a cool down.”

Fair Grove’s high school girls track team has made big improvements throughout the year. Martin said, “We are a young team and this group has exceeded my expectations. We have taken every challenge or setback and taken it as fuel to get better.” These improvements have helped the team throughout their season.

Preparing for districts is a big part of a high school sports season. Doing well in districts will settle whether or not your season will continue. “We used our conference meet as a dress rehearsal for districts. We have been preaching the same message all season long and the girls are ready to go,” explained Martin.

Fair Grove’s high school girls track team managed to win the Mid Lakes Conference on May 5th at Skyline.

Alongside the girls track team, the boys have had a successful season so far. The boys managed to win the Mid Lakes Conference with the girls team on May 5th at Skyline.

The boys track team usual practice is generally the same as the girls practice. Ryan Buffington, the boys track coach shared, “Depending on the day, we will usually start with a warm up and then move on to our daily workout. After the workout we will move to our field events.”

Similar to the girls track team, the boys have made large improvements throughout the year. Track athlete Samuel Sublett (12) said, “All the guys on the team have done everything they can to improve for the season. Whether that is working on form, working on handoffs, or even losing weight, everyone has put in the work every day to get better.”