Boys Soccer Kicks Off Preseason

May 26, 2021

Andrew Shurtz, upcoming senior, dribbling the ball against Parkview.

As spring sports start to wind down, fall sports are starting to pick right back up. It may seem as if things just ended, but the boys soccer season is right around the corner. 

Fair Grove’s boys soccer team has managed to put together some good seasons the past few years. In 2018, the soccer team made it to state where they placed 3rd overall. In 2019 and 2020, the team made it to the district championship but had a tough loss in both games. 

The team has high expectations and big goals for this season. Joshua Orr, upcoming 4 year starter, said, “Our goals for this season are to definitely win districts and then potentially go back to state.” 

Incoming freshmen are a big factor on a team. Usually, a handful of freshmen will either fill in a spot in the starting lineup or make contributions off the bench. Orr explained, “The incoming freshmen are going to affect our team greatly. I believe we have 3-4 freshmen coming in that I know of, and to be honest they are going to be a big contributing factor on how the season goes.”

For next year’s season, the team has a few things to work on. Orr stated, “Our team chemistry is a big part of our team’s success. That’ll be one of the biggest things we work on as the season approaches us.” The good thing is that team chemistry will come with time. 

The soccer team is very senior heavy compared to previous years. The team is going to have 7 seniors this upcoming season. Andrew Shurtz, also an upcoming 4 year starter, said, “The amount of seniors we have this year will play a big role in how our season goes. All of us seniors have come a long way. Looking back to our freshmen year, we have all improved and matured. All of us have varsity experience and some of us even have experience in state.”