The Take Off of Flight Gear

September 28, 2021

Fair Grove High School students helping to set up the school store: Flight Gear.

The Fair Grove High School School Store is open and ready for business. The store can be found in the high school gym lobby behind the concession stand from 7:30 AM- 7:50 AM and 3:00 PM- 4:00 PM.

The school store is a class offered at FGHS. The class is taught by Casey Overstreet; however, the projects and the store itself are all student led. Overstreet has always wanted to complete the marketing department at Fair Grove by adding a school store and her dreams have finally become a reality.

“I felt that project based learning could be taken to the next level if we gave our students the opportunity to work with real customers, real money, and real responsibilities,” explained Overstreet. The students are in charge of the entire operation. Whether it be finance, marketing, merchandise, website, operations, or social media managers, there is something that allows every student to have the opportunity to dip their toes into real experience.

Kody Stacye (12) was one of the students who helped build the school store from the ground up during the 2020-2021 school year. “What I like about the school store is that it is student-led and it is hands-on like a business. We do all the restocking, we do all the money, it is just a hands-on class and that’s what I like about it,” stated Stacye. Stacye also commented that the goal of the store is to keep the business running and keep the customers happy.

Several different kinds of items can be found in the store. Overstreet explained, “In the shop customers can purchase student designed apparel, spirit items for theme nights, jewelry, school supplies, and more!” Overstreet also explained that the school store space is shared by National Honor Society (NHS) for their coffee shop. They remodeled the shop this past year to help accommodate both businesses.

Another student who helps manage the marketing department and flight gear is Aspen Martin (12). Martin was another one of the few students that helped to build the school store from the beginning. “My job description includes overseeing all marketing strategies and ads for the store,” revealed Martin. “I love that it gives me creative freedom and the opportunity to time manage myself and others.”

The store is open Tuesday through Friday in the gym lobby behind the concession stand before and after school, as  well as at home volleyball and basketball games. Items from the store are also sold at home football games outside by the top of the entrance of the football field.