Speech and Debate Raring to Go!

October 5, 2021

Ayden Teaster (10) and Lucas Engel (9) practicing their Duo for the upcoming Speech Tournament.

Fair Grove Speech is starting up their season with their first competition on November 6th.

Last year Speech and Debate had to be done through technology, introducing online tournaments. Students had to film themselves performing beforehand, then send their videos in to be assessed by voluntary judges. This year the tournaments are going to be split into two: part of them being online and the rest in person.

Students in Speech choose out of a large array of different events, each with different competitors and standards. They can chose from anything from Humorous Interpretation, to Dramatic Interpretation, to Original Oratories, although they’re limited to three per competition. Preparing for tournaments includes going to practice after school every Tuesday and trimming pieces to fit a standard time length.

Speech and Debate, although time consuming, has many positives to participating in it. Speech improves your speaking skills, helping with annunciation and confidence. Cooper Zumwalt (11), who participates in Humorous Interpretation and Storytelling, said, “Speech helps you become a more effective communicator. As dumb as it may sound, giving the same speech over and over again and improving it throughout the year really does help improve your communication in day-to-day conversations.”

Because the tournaments are partially in person this year, students in Speech are using that to push themselves and their performances even harder than before.  Ayden Teaster (10), performing a Duo with Lucas Engel (9), shared, “While performing pieces, there is always something that you can be doing better. It’s really helpful to have someone watch you and give their own feedback on your piece and what implements you can make in order to make it better.”

Speech and Debate can be a huge portion of a teenager’s high school life. Speech is where you can bond with people you’ve never spoken to before and improve upon your speech skills. There are different types of speeches for different types of people. Speeches and pieces can be funny, informative, or scary. “Whether they make you laugh, cry, or ponder your inner morals, there is something for everyone in speech,” supported Zumwalt, the President of Speech.

Speech and Debate is very excited for their season this year; they are ready to show off the improvements they’ve made through their practices. “We have a lot of new members this year with so much talent and potential, and I can’t wait to see them succeed in the upcoming season!” exclaimed Cooper.