First Steps to the Start of a Career That Will Change Lives Forever

October 14, 2021

FTA officers Abigail Gilmartin (president), Olivia Brumfield (Vice President), and Easton Beltz (Secretary), pictured with club sponsor, Nikki Kisling.

Future Teachers of America (FTA) is a valuable club headed by Nikki Kisling at Fair Grove that serves to uplift and support teachers. 

FTA meets every first or second Tuesday of the month after school in Mrs. Kisling’s room. Their focus is on helping teachers in this community. They’re involved in Grandparents Day, Christmas gifts, and Teacher Appreciation Week. There are also additional opportunities for students in FTA like Cadet Teaching, a class open to seniors in FTA. 

Easton Beltz (12), secretary of FTA, explained, “FTA is a very important club because of its impact among our school’s necessary staff. This club’s main focus is to give students an insight to who teachers are and their importance in our society.” 

There are many roles and positions to be held in FTA. Though Mrs. Kisling is head of the club, positions (officers) available to members include president, vice president, secretary and junior officer. The current holders of these positions are Abigail Gilmartin (12), Brielle Helmer (12), Easton Beltz, and Olivia Brumfield (11) in that order respectively. FTA’s first meeting was relatively small with eight attendees. However, they have big plans for this year. 

Gilmartin is extremely excited about Teacher Appreciation Week which is in May. She is also looking forward to the college visit. Gilmartin said, “Hopefully this year we can since we haven’t been able to in previous years due to COVID.” 

Many members like Gilmartin plan to become teachers, so preparing for their future careers is an important part of FTA. “This club is such a great influence on me as a person because of its ability to give me a peek into my teacher as a teacher,” Beltz stated. 

Considering everything FTA is involved in, it succeeds in a number of areas. FTA trains and equips its members for their future and helps local teachers. FTA members feel that teachers are often underappreciated. They want to give back to the community and serve the teachers who do so much for their students. According to Beltz, “…giving back and spotlighting the teachers who dedicate their life to their students” is what this club is all about.”