A Future Generation of Cheerleaders

October 26, 2021

Kindergarten cheer girls with a few older cheerleaders.

Fair Grove High School Cheerleaders hosted a cheer camp for girls in the elementary cafeteria after school until 5:30, getting the girls excited for cheer.

Getting the people energized in the crowd, Fair Grove Cheerleaders cheer for the high school football team. They go every Friday night to cheer the boys on. The cheer team wanted the younger elementary girls to experience cheering.

One week out of the school year, the team hosts a cheer camp. Each cheerleader will help teach the girls cheers, different moves, and the big dance they do.

Teaching the cheers and dance means that the high school cheerleaders have to learn them before showing the kids. “It took about a week or two to get everything ready for cheer camp because we had to learn the cheers, chants, and what dance we were going to teach the little kids and us figuring out how we were going to do the groups and who was going to lead which group,” explained Jeri McDougal (10).

The young girls look forward to learning about cheer. Little kids have so much energy and enthusiasm. Hailey Hulette (12) stated, “I think they look forward to performing in front of their parents on Friday night and to play games during camp, especially ‘Follow the Leader’ and ‘Little Sally Walker’.”

The girls look up to their cheer teachers. McDougal mentioned, “With doing the cheer camp and getting to know the kids and seeing how much they have grown within the week we do it is great, getting to let them perform with us at the football game because they get so excited to be able to do something with the older cheerleaders.

Everybody grows up knowing what their interests are. The Fair Grove Elementary girls who did the cheer camp are enjoying the cheer experience. Huelette replied, “I love teaching the girls, because I remember being in cheer camp when I was younger and loving every minute of it!” Hulette got to experience the cheer camp when she was little, now she is a high school cheerleader. 

On the 22nd of October, the young cheerleaders got to see what it was like cheering on the field. 

They were waiting to go on, jumping around. They walked onto the field with faces full of smiles. The performance was a success.