Fair Grove OTC Program Shows Great Results

November 23, 2021

Students Hailey Hulette (left most) and Seth Ipock (next to her) exploring the OTC medical program in 2020 during their sophomore year. Photo provided by Nicolas Hamp

Several students at Fair Grove are attending the OTC program offered at Fair Grove High School. These students leave after their lunch period then head to the campus in Springfield, MO. 

Senior Samantha Armstrong, who has been in the OTC (Ozarks Technical Community College) program for the past two years, stated that she decided to join the program to get more experience before she graduated high school. 

Harleigh Scrimsher, a junior in the OTC program stated that she joined the program because it is a great first step into the medical field. 

The Career Center offers many different subjects such as health science, culinary, welding, engineering, and many others. Many students have the opportunity to graduate high school with a year’s worth of college credits. 

Very few students do not complete the high school OTC program with their full credit achieved. Although these students do not complete the program, it is generally a factor of them changing career paths during the program. 

Tonya Peck, the High School counselor and High School Volleyball Coach stated that the school usually has around 15-25 new students apply for the program. Currently the school has 29 returning seniors in their second year in the program. 

The OTC program offers a non traditional approach to education. The program focuses on teaching with a hands-on approach. 

Peck stated, “The acceptance rate to the Career Center is high as long as there are seats available within the program of choice.” The acceptance process is based on academic records and behavioral history in the school system. 

Many students use the program as a way to achieve their future goals and get a head start. Armstrong explained, “This program has helped me achieve my goals for the future by not only welding in the shop but learning about the different parts of your machine and how they work and also including knowledge of how welding works.” 

The OTC center offers the program to many more schools than just Fair Grove. Scrimsher explained that she has made several new friends from separate schools through the program. 

Peck shared, “It has also allowed students to get a job immediately out of high school with the training they received at the Career Center.” 

Peck continued, “it is a win/win as it allows students a somewhat risk-free opportunity to see what they want to do after high school.”