The Fair Grove Pep Band Shows Their Support for the Boys and Girls Basketball Teams

November 29, 2021

Current+seniors+Calvin+Zuch+%28left%29%2C+Nicky+Hamp+%28middle%29%2C+and+current+sophomore+Seth+Hardison+%28right%29+playing+last+season+in+pep+band.+

Current seniors Calvin Zuch (left), Nicky Hamp (middle), and current sophomore Seth Hardison (right) playing last season in pep band.

As the boys and girls basketball teams prepare for the 2021-2022 season, so does the pep band. Pep band is playing to support the Eagles Basketball teams during home games this season.

The Fair Grove Pep Band is a group of band members that are coming to all of the boys and girls home basketball games this season to play songs and keep the energy going throughout the games. They will be playing a number of recognizable songs during breaks in the game in support of Fair Grove. 

The pep band will be led by the High School Band Director Natalie Palomo. “The Pep Band performs pop tunes at basketball games, while the concert and jazz bands are individual performing ensembles,” explained Palomo. 

The band will be playing old favorites from previous years but have also purchased new songs to be played this season that they haven’t had access to in the past. Palomo shared, “The pep band will be adding a few new songs this year: My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark, I’m Still Standing, and Yeah! by Usher. We’ll also stick with a lot of classics, like Uma Thurman and Handclap.”

Student band members are also excited to be playing songs during the Eagles home basketball games. Mackenzie Cavin (10), is one of the trumpet players who will be playing in the pep band this year. “I think my favorite part about being in pep band is getting to show school spirit through good music,” explained Cavin, “This is my first year in pep band, and I’m very excited to be playing new music!”

The pep band not only plans on supporting their team during varsity basketball games, but they also plan on being able to help the atmosphere of these games. “I think the pep band can add some fun energy to a game, or at the very least, provide some background music when the game isn’t happening. We try to hype up the team, too,” added Palomo.

The players on the court can feel this change in atmosphere during their basketball games. Lauren Thomlinson (11) is one of the girls basketball players who feels that the pep band is an important aspect to each basketball game. Thomlinson shared, “When the pep band is playing it gets us going. It gives us more energy and it’s a great atmosphere.”

In order to provide energy for the game, a lot of time and preparation is needed in order to get these familiar songs sounding their best for games. “We prepare by having a Monday rehearsal and then playing during 8th hour on Wednesdays. We just rep through our music and try to clean up spots that don’t sound as strong,” explained Palomo.

The Fair Grove High School Boys Basketball first home game will be on Friday, December 10th against Marshfield while the Lady Eagle’s first home game will be on Monday, December 13th versus Hartville.