A Much Needed Heart2Heart Food Drive During the Holiday Season

December 14, 2021

Non-perishable canned foods that can be donated to Heart2Heart.

The Fair Grove Middle School Student Council recently wrapped up their Thanksgiving Food Drive, one of many activities they’ve already been involved in this year. The community has contributed non-perishable food products that StuCo has donated to Heart2Heart’s backpack program.

Heart2Heart is a non-profit organization that provides food to families in need through their backpack program. This year, middle school students were challenged to bring in any non-perishable items to their 8th hour teachers to donate to Heart2Heart.

The Middle School Student Council runs a food drive through the school every year and is always helping donate to families in need. This year, they have managed to gather over 1,245 individual items by the drive’s end date of November 26, 2021.

Lindsay Martin is the teacher in charge of the student council group and organizes events that Student Council will be running in the year to come. So far, they have already put on some successful events for the 2021-2022 school year. “Middle School Stuco has planned and ran a Fright Night event for Halloween, organized a presentation of flowers, song and dance for teachers, delivered hot chocolate to 8th hours via the Holiday Drink Express and produced several informational and entertaining videos,” said Martin.

Martin has played a big role in the success of the food drive, but the real superstars are the student council members. They have been working the food drive through the month of November and were also the ones that gathered donations. Volunteering to the food drive is important to students in various ways. One of these members, Keith Nolan (8), stated, “I think it’s that everyone has food for the holiday season or just in general. Everyone needs to have food that is accessible to them.”

Another council member who has been running Stuco events such as the food drive is Alyssa Faubion (8). She has been helping advertise and collect food donations from classrooms. Faubion described her role in the process by saying, “The council members have been promoting the food drive by making/hanging up posters and signs around the middle school that give details and information about it.”

The council members involved in student council can really feel and understand the difference that they are making. “… I have seen people without food in my personal life and nobody should have to go through that,” explained Nolan. “I feel that Student Council is making a positive environment and making it easier to spread kindness.”

For anyone wanting to provide more donations for Heart2Heart’s Backpack Program, non-perishable food and hygiene items can be dropped off at the middle school and high school offices.

As for Student Council, they will also be organizing future middle school events for the 2022 portion of the school year. Council members are excited about both the success of the food drive and for new projects to come. “This food drive definitely helped the community, and I’m glad Stuco got to put it on!” exclaimed Faubion.