Son Plus One Equals A Fun Night

February 9, 2022

A team strategizing a for the nerf gun war. Photo by Easton Beltz taken on January 29, 2022.

The Son Plus One Night was an event organized by the Parent-Teacher Organization (PTO) on January 29, from 6 P.M to 8 P.M in the elementary.

This event had laser tag that ran in 10-minute intervals and a nerf gun war zone that people could play while they waited their turn for laser tag, according to Holey Johnson.

Holley Johnson has been a part of the PTO for nearly five years. She has run the daddy-daughter dance and last year’s Son Plus One Night. Johnson also helps with many other events like the holiday shop, carnival, and apparel sales.

This was technically be the second Son Plus One Night; the night previously went under the name Mom and Son Olympics. Johnson said, “We try to do one boy event and one girl event during the school year. We chose to do son plus one instead of mom and son in case a boy wants to bring someone other than a mom/grandma.”

Trilby Workman is the president of the PTO and has been a part of PTO since 2018. Workman gave some insight on the PTO planning process, she announced, “At our PTO meeting last August we discussed what kind of events we could hold for this school year. Someone then volunteers to head each event. Planning sometimes is done alone, other times a small group works together, and sometimes we help plan during our monthly PTO meeting. It’s always more fun and less stressful when we can work together.”

Last year the Son Plus One Night only had 50 students in attendance, but there was bad weather that prevented many of the students from attending, Johnson stated. This year there is expected to be a lot more in attendance.

The excitement from some of the students is extreme according to Darci Friberg, a teacher and parent at Fair Grove High School. Friberg has a boy named August in the third grade who heard of the upcoming event and has not stopped talking about it. August would like to go out and buy a new Nerf gun for the Nerf war. You did not have to bring your own nerf gun, but you could if you wished to.

The event costed $10 per person and for every one pre-k-12.