Monnet High School Bans Social Justice Book “Dear Martin”

February 1, 2022

“Dear Martin” by Nic Stone in the library next to “Dear Justyce,” the sequel.

Monnet High School has recently removed the book “Dear Martin” due to the content of the book including: violence, police brutality, and swearing.

“Dear Martin” by author Nic Stone tells the story of an African American student named Justyce. Justyce is set to go to Yale to further his education, but quickly falls victim to racial profiling and becomes accused of crimes and gets into an altercation with police. When Justyce searches for answers as to why a good kid and star student would get treated so harshly, he turns to writing letters to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Stone wrote the book following the murder of 17 year old Jordan Davis and the 2014 shooting of Micheal Brown.

In an interview with “The Winged Pen” published by Michelle Leonard, Stone stated, “I grew up with very excellent white people who, to this day, are very supportive of me and my work, even when it makes them uncomfortable, and it does.” Stone added, “There is some validity to the notion that once you really get to know the person, their race becomes peripheral in a sense.”

Stone commented, “Books are the perfect place to grapple with things that make us uncomfortable, opinions that differ from our own, experiences we could never live because they don’t stare at you waiting for an immediate response. They don’t stare at you waiting for you to say something. You can sit on the information.”

At Monnet High School, English teachers Chelsea Wagner and Megan Gonzalaz sent home permission slips and emails informing parents that reading the book “Dear Martin” would be assigned to freshmen.

Both the book and the letter received very poor reactions. After receiving these reactions, principal Stephanie Heman sent out a follow up letter to teachers. Principal Heman spoke to “The Springfield Newsleader” about the contents of the letter. She claimed, “The administration was aware of the situation, reviewed the book, and decided a change was in order.” The book was removed from the curriculum and was replaced with the novel “To Kill A Mockingbird.”

You can find the book “Dear Martin” by Nic Stone in the Fair Grove Middle and High School library. Librarian Chanda Lemon shared, “I purchased the book for my high school readers. I hate to note in the back of the book that it is recommended for 9th-12th graders. Younger kids need a note from home.”

When asked if the book would ever get removed from the library, Mrs. Lemon explained, “We have a certain process for removing a book that involves multiple people reading the book and making a decision based on set criteria. Many times a person may pass judgment on a book and they have not even read the entire novel. I also try to let my readers know that if they are not comfortable with the content/ topics or maybe they don’t enjoy the story… please return the book and I will help them find something else to read that is more in tune with their interests.”

Works Cited:

Riley, Claudette. “Monett High School removes social justice book ‘Dear Martin’ after parent complaints.” Springfield Newsleader, Jan 13, 2022. https://www.news-leader.com.

Leonard, Michelle. “Nic Stone Interview: Dear Martin.” The Winged Pen, October 16, 2017. http://thewingedpen.com.