Fair Grove Schools’ Protocol for School Intruders, Lockdowns

February 15, 2022

Flyer provided by Officer Bond.

Numerous school shooting protocols are in place at Fair Grove Schools to protect the students from violence throughout the school year.

As school shootings threaten schools across America, Fair Grove has placed numerous safety measures in case of such an event. School Resource Officer Brandon Bond shared that the school has provided an electronic identification system at every main entry and monitored cameras.

If protocols are needed to prevent school shooting violence, the school has different systems in place for a threat, a possible school shooter, and an active shooter.

Bond explained, “In the event of a school shooting threat, the threat will be investigated in coordination with local law enforcement. If the threat is determined to be credible it will be dealt with within the juvenile criminal justice system (unless the perpetrator is 18, then it goes through the adult criminal justice system). Extra police presence and patrols will be made available on specific days relating to threats.” Bond emphasized that even if the person making the threat is “joking,” they would face the consequence of being arrested; anyone may be arrested for making a school shooting threat. 

In the case of a possible school shooter or person with a weapon inside the building, the school would “shelter in place,” otherwise known as a “hard lockdown.” In this case, Bond informed, “Myself, in coordination with local law enforcement, will identify the threat and take action to make sure the potential threat is taken into custody for investigation.”

An active shooter scenario has different protocols than its counterparts. “If there is an active shooter, our staff has been trained to “run, hide, fight.” The best resort is to run if you are far enough away from the shooter to get out of the building. The next best plan is to hide, sheltering in place. As a last resort, if a shooter enters a place where students are sheltering, then it is time to fight. During an active shooter scenario, myself, along with local law enforcement, will be actively hunting down the shooter and eliminating the threat.” Along with Bond, the school staff received training in case of a school shooting event.

School staff may volunteer to participate in a realistic school shooting drill. Jeremy Faubion, history teacher at Fair Grove High School, was a participant in the program. “We have done this several different years, and each year is different. Sometimes this day is extremely realistic, and is upsetting to some of our faculty members,” Faubion described. “I think it’s sad, but it is necessary in this time period.  You have to train your brain and body to react, and the only way to do this is through a realistic scenario.”

Middle and high school nurse Brandy Cantwell, whilst having the same training as the other staff, has additional protocols given a school shooting event. Cantwell revealed, “When it comes to responding to an incident, my protocol would be the same as everyone else; do what I need to protect the students in my care. I do have an emergency bag that is stocked with items I might need to assist injured staff or students until EMS would arrive.”

Bond works to provide a safe environment for the Fair Grove students. “There is nothing I take more seriously than the safety of the students here. I am constantly training, learning, and researching new ways to keep everyone safe, and school administration is actively involved,” he assured. “Aside from in-person activity, security cameras are constantly monitored, as is social media to watch for and identify any potential threats to our school. I am always working and investigating behind the scenes to provide a safe environment for our students and staff.”

All three agree that Fair Grove Schools has provided a safe environment for students. Both Faubion and Cantwell shared that they feel they may never be prepared to face such an event.

“I would like to remind the students about Missouri’s Courage2Report anonymous reporting program. There are three ways to report: download the Courage2Report app, go to www.courage2reportMO.com, or call 1-866-748-7047,” Bond emphasized. “It’s extremely important for anyone who knows of or suspects a threat to our school to report it. If done through this system, it is anonymous. Otherwise, they can report to me directly or any school administrator.”