Taking a Look Back on Past Seniors

February 15, 2022

Dory Baker with her parents Bill and Denna Baker on band senior night 2020.

Fair Grove High School class of 2021, beginning their first year of adulthood, has given some insight and advice about high school and entering adult life.

Dory Baker graduated last year at the top of her class. She attended Fair Grove from kindergarten to graduation. Baker said, “I miss theater, guard, and a few teachers who I grew close to over the four years I had them in high school. On the other hand, I am really enjoying having more options in my education and taking classes that are more specific to my goals.”

Mitch Van Cleave also graduated last year, he was a part of the marching band, boys soccer, and poetry club. Van Cleave stated, “I go back and forth between missing and hating the strict schedule of high school. Having so much time in the day makes it really easy to slack on work. In college, you go to class to get your assignments and discuss things.” Van Cleave continued by saying, “You do all of your learning outside of class, which is extremely difficult. I have definitely found myself wishing I could go back to having someone else make me work until 3, then take the rest of the day off. I’ve got it figured out now though, and I’m glad I have the self-control to not just play video games all day. It’s definitely made me a more productive person.”

Another class 2021 student was Tanner Lumley. A baseball and football player, he participated a lot at Fair Grove High School. Lumley fell in love with baseball. He loves baseball so much he decided to go to college for it. Lumley shared, “I have really begun to enjoy the freedom of adulthood, although it took some time to get used to! Now, I have the opportunity to get to make my own schedule, which at first seemed a little overwhelming, but now I have begun to get so much more accomplished this way!”

Baker mentioned she didn’t know what she was going to do her freshman year of high school; she only knew she loved math and wanted to make a career out of her love for math. Baker has now decided she wants to become an Architect because it involves math, but still leaves her with some creative liberties.

Van Cleave proclaimed, “My goals have evolved mainly as I’ve changed as a person.” Van Cleave also mentioned that his freshman year he wanted to put his nose in the ground and only focus on school, but as he grew as a person he learned to slow down and smell the roses.

Lumley exclaimed, “My plans have changed tremendously, considering that my freshman year, I had no plans for my future!”

High school is a time to grow as a person and as a student. It is ok not to know what you are going to do your freshman year because you are still growing, Van Cleave revealed.