Tackling the Task of Teaching: Why Become an Educator?

February 22, 2022

Stacy Beller teaching an English class at Fair Grove High School.

During childhood most kids hear the question: what do you want to be when you grow up? Often times, a favorite teacher inspires the professions kids pursue. However, that leaves the following question: why teachers choose to teach?

Teaching can be filled with rewards and struggles. Fair Grove High School Science teacher, Sarah Englis, explained that she decided to go into teaching because of the positive influence her favorite teachers had on her life. “I had teachers and coaches in my life who impacted me in a huge way. High school was difficult for me and my family, but my teachers were supportive, encouraging, and challenging,” shared Englis.

For some teachers, the desire to make an impact on students’ lives led them to the profession. “I chose to become a teacher because I care about kids. I wanted to do my best to help kids be successful beyond high school,” said Stacy Beller, Fair Grove High School English teacher.

Englis stated that wanting to help students is also a reason she chose a career in education. “Teaching is the opportunity to make a difference in a student’s life. It’s also an interesting challenge for me to create classes that are engaging and fun for everyone; it pushes me to be creative and learn new things myself!” she added.

Like other professions, teaching has its ups and downs. One of the most rewarding aspects for some teachers is being a part of students’ lives. Englis explained, “Recently, a Fair Grove grad became a medical doctor and I got to be a part of her story. Incredible! I have students who are doing amazing things in the world and I get to be a small part of their journey. The honor of being a part of a student’s growth as a human is the best part of teaching.”

Beller explained other benefits of teaching. “The most positive aspect of teaching is that I will be able to look back at 30 years of my life and not regret a day of what I did,” said Beller.

Teaching has its struggles as well. Teachers say their profession requires a lot of effort emotionally and physically. “A negative aspect of teaching is the amount of energy it takes. It is probably one of the most exhausting jobs,” shared Beller.

Englis gave insight on some of the emotional tolls of teaching, “I want to help and connect with every student, helping them learn and grow. But the reality is students are going through a lot!” She continued, “When students are struggling, I want to be able to fix it, but that isn’t possible at times. Being able to accept those limitations are stressful for me.”

Abigail Gilmartin, president of Future Teachers of America (FTA) at Fair Grove, gave the perspective of a high school student wanting to go into education. “I think that it is important that I become a teacher because I will have a unique impact on my students,” said Gilmartin.

Whether it was their childhood dream or a special teacher they encountered, it is ultimately their love and compassion for others that drives teachers to teach.