The Perfect Environment for Studying

February 16, 2022

Monroe House Coffee Company, a local coffee shop perfect for studying.

Students study throughout their entire school career, in all sorts of different locations, taking in as much information as possible for their different courses. 

Studying looks different for every student. For some students it can be an easy stress-free afternoon activity and for others it can be rushing through flashcards before a test next hour. Depending on a students preference they may prefer complete silence when studying, however some students like Reese Wells (9), prefer, “Studying in a quiet environment, but not completely silent, normally I listen to study music.” 

Sometimes studying is much easier when doing it with another person. If a student is struggling with a concept, having a study partner is particularly helpful. Some people, like Wells, “Study best with a friend or a parent so they can quiz me on what I know.” Some students go as far as to start study groups with friends where they will meet at a calm location and work together. 

Another peaceful study option is a serene environment with limited distractions, and a steady buzz of background noise, whether it be music, cars passing by, nature’s natural sound effects, or the chatter of people. Mr. Van Cleave, high school math teacher, agrees that when studying the location should be, “Quiet with limited distractions.” 

A hot spot for studying is coffee shops. It could be a local Starbucks or Panera or a smaller, more local shop. Cooper Zumwalt stated, “I personally would love to study at coffee shops such as Monroe House. I think places like that have a very calm tone that could help me get ready for any test.” Mr. Florez, an English teacher at Fair Grove, said that places in Springfield like Mudhouse Coffee are great places to relax and study as well as have access to free internet.

When studying, accessibility is an important factor. Stephanie Dunham (10), explained, “I went to Kum and Go a couple of times to study mostly for the internet. Plus you literally have whatever food you want at your disposal.” Dunham added that during warm weather she likes to study outside. 

Libraries are also a classic studying setting. Most modern libraries have internet, computers, places to sit spread throughout them and of course, books. Fair Grove has its own, small, branch library, attached to the City Hall. In Springfield there is a larger library, The Greene County Public Library and other libraries like The Library Center or Park Central Branch Library.

No matter where studying takes place, or what subject is being studied, there is no denying the fundamental necessity for studying in order to be academically successful.