Students Utilize Online Resources to take Unique Classes

March 24, 2022

Students hard at work for online courses.

A variety of students in the Fair Grove school district are currently taking online classes, or have already taken them in the past, for their own different reasons.

There are many classes offered online for high school students. A few students who take these online classes are taking them through the Launch program.

The Launch program offers a variety of courses including classes like ACT Prep and Personal Finance, as well French or German language classes, and that isn’t even all of them. According to a Fair Grove High School student Katherine Burch (12), “Obviously we don’t offer German at our school, but luckily it’s offered through launch so I’m able to take it!”

Burch is currently taking German Language classes online and has already taken several other classes in her high school years only.

Fair Grove High School Counselor Tonya Peck exclaimed, “I do believe that online classes benefit our students.  It allows students to be able to take a class that we might not offer here at Fair Grove.” She then went on to explain that you need to have personal motivation in order to do well while taking online classes.

Burch stated, “If you are someone who is responsible and can handle extra work, and you also have interests in taking classes that Fair Grove doesn’t offer, I would definitely recommend it. However, if you struggle with time management and are a procrastinator like I am, it can make things difficult.” These classes solely rely on the students own ability to manage time, complete assignments, and put in their best effort to teach themselves.

When taking an online class, it changes the workloads and the set up of how the class is run. Of course, this also differs between what the class is.  Burch said, “The workload online is greater than the workload in person, but as long as you set aside some time to get it done, it’s not too bad.”

Alex Kepes (11) shared, “The workload is tedious, but for me, it is worth it.” Kepes is taking Web Design and P.E. online classes so the workload is very much different but it’s also somewhat alike.

Burch also explained, “For me, taking an online class means going to the ISS room for an hour each school day, and occasionally putting in some time working on it at home.” Classes for her take the same amount of time as any other class, the main difference being that it’s all online.

Kepes balances her work differently. “I get home from school, sit down at my desk and I watch the teacher announcement for the day,” she explained. “After that, I do the assignments and email my teachers if I have any questions.”