Fair Grove’s Favorite Books

April 5, 2022

Fair Grove’s HS and MS library (photo provided by Fair Grove Newspaper Staff).

Mrs. Chanda Lemon, the librarian for Fair Grove Middle and High School, is always recommending new books for students to read. Many students of Fair Grove enjoy reading and finding new books to finish.

There are many books in the library that Lemon could recommend. Lemon shared, “I always try to recommend the Gateway nominees for my high school students each year. The Gateway list has a variety of authors, genres, & writing styles.” Along with this, Lemon explained a book she recommends currently is the Shadow & Bone series by Leigh Bardugo.

Although Shadow and Bone is her most recent read, its not her favorite as of recent times. She stated, “My favorite book this year is Ground Zero by Alan Gratz. This is a great historical fiction book about the attacks on the World Trade Center.” She described, “Alan Gratz delivers a pulse pounding and unforgettable take on history & hope, revenge and fear- and the stunning links between the past & the present.”

The top genres for Fair Grove this year are sports, graphic novels, and the Just Joking books by National Geographic. Graphic novels is leading the way for the top genre for students as a quick and easy read; sports is leading in second favorite genre to read and catch up on.

Lemon’s has read a lot over her life and have many favorite things about it. She revealed, “I have loved to read my entire life. I find it relaxing and I enjoy having a quiet time where I can gain a new perspective and learn from someone’s story and expand my world by reading about various cultures, historical events, faraway places or just have fun trying to figure out the plot in a mystery. I love a book that makes me stop & think or opens my eyes and I can walk away having learned something new!”

There are many different genres of books to choose from in the library. One can read horror books, fiction and nonfiction books, graphic novels, and more. Reading can be a great way to cure boredom and to immerse oneself into a brand new world.

Furthermore, reading can be a good way to connect with other people on a common ground. One can talk with friends about the book you’ve read and your thoughts on the story. Although reading isn’t everyone’s favorite pastime, reading is enjoyed by many people at Fair Grove.