Seasonal Depression Causes Students’ Mental Health Issues to Rise

March 22, 2022

High school Counselor Tonya Peck.

High school Counselor Tonya Peck.

Third quarter is when grades, and morale, is typically the lowest in schools. However, there are people helping motivate students through this tough time.

One thing Fair Grove prioritizes for its students is mental health. A common disorder that affects teenagers at this time of year is seasonal depression. Seasonal depression is an offshoot of depression that normally occurs during winter. It’s source is often a lack of Vitamin D, more isolation from friends, and increased illness.

Although seasonal depression is temporary, it doesn’t make it less serious. The same risks and problems generalized depression has are still a threat to people with seasonal depression. This is why the high school counselor, Tonya Peck, and her fellow staff members are working to care for their students.

The teachers also play a big role in the mental health of our students. They are wonderful to see and pick up on when someone might be struggling.” Peck explained. The entire school staff plays a role in protecting the students. While the best place to go would be Peck’s office, there are plenty of other options for students who would like help ASAP. Peck encouraged, “If a student is struggling and needs a safe place to talk, my office is always available, along with the offices of Officer Bond, Mr. Overstreet, and Mr. Stallings. We are here for students!”

Officer Bond is also very invested in the mental well being of students and keeps his office door open 24/7 for students who need someone to talk to. Bond said, “One of the reasons that I wanted to specifically become a School Resource Officer is that it is a unique assignment that puts a priority on support of students, whether physical, mental, or emotional.” While Peck is a psychological professional, Bond another relaxed and laid back adult figure. This is helpful to kids who prefer a more casual environment and might be nervous talking to a staff member they aren’t familiar with.

While getting help from adults is a great step to feeling better, there are also things students can do to boost their mood. If you or your child have been feeling a lack of motivation recently, here are some things that should help: going outside for just brief walks is a great way to get Vitamin D and fresh air, eating vegetables and fruit throughout the day will help boost the amount of energy you have, staying hydrated reduces headaches, and partaking hobbies or productive, fun activities are also a great way to keep your morale up.

If you or someone you know is struggling with suicidal thoughts or tendencies, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available by phone at 800-273-8255 or by Lifeline Chat online.