The Birth of a New, Inclusive Space in FGHS

April 22, 2022

PROUD poster posted in front of Officer Bond’s office. Photo taken by Baily Carll (10).

People Reaching Out and Understanding Differences (PROUD) had it’s first meeting in Mr. Van Cleave’s room on Thursday, April 21st, from 3:45-5.

PROUD will function similarly to gay-straight alliance club. It was made as a safe space for students who are LGBTQIA+, as well as students who are interested in learning more or better understanding others in the community.

Many of the Fair Grove High School staff reacted positively to this new club starting. “We feel beyond supported…and are so grateful to be able to operate with so much encouragement..,” Lydia Engel (12), one of the “PROUD Parents” responsible for setting up the club, expressed.

A common misconception about PROUD is that it’s only for members of the LGBTQIA+ community, which isn’t true. PROUD’s purpose is to provide a safe environment for everyone, regardless of differing beliefs or preferences and come together to better understand one another. Easton Beltz (12), another one of the “PROUD Parents,” explained, “PROUD is a group to learn, share and understand from one another to create a positive environment. This group has a mission to make the school and community a more accepting and knowledgeable space.” 

Van Cleave, a sponsor of PROUD, added, “At this point, our biggest event will be our first meeting, which happens on Thursday, April 21st.  We hope to incorporate some guest speakers and outreach events in the future.” While the club itself takes place in Van Cleave’s room, Mrs. Johnson is also a sponsor for PROUD.

Although PROUD has received support from many teachers and students, some members still have concerns. “Our main concern about PROUD is safety,” explained Engel. “Managing threats and/or disrespect is something that we know we will be dealing with, and we are up for the challenge to be kind to those trying to tear us down. Still, we want to ensure the safety of the students attending PROUD and create a safe environment for them.”

Although PROUD currently has no events planned, ideas for a PROUD spirit week, volunteer work, and even a student body managing the club are in the books. The club is still too young to have any official footing, but the “PROUD Parents” have some big ideas for PROUD.

As for meeting, which will be every other week after school in Van Cleave’s room, Engel shared, “I want to encourage students to come to PROUD! It’s going to be a fun, inclusive experience and it’s exciting that something like this is finally happening.”