Gifted Students Set STEAM Night into Motion

April 29, 2022

Hubbard’s students congregating in her room in preparation for STEAM night. Photo provided by Baily Carll (10).

On Thursday, April 14, Sunshine Hubbard (the middle school “gifted” teacher) hosted the Fair Grove Middle School Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math (STEAM) Night in the middle school commons from 5:30 to 7 PM.

STEAM Night is a chance for FG students to have an interactive experience with STEAM principles. The exhibits are demonstrations from students in the gifted program,” Hubbard said.

Mostly run by the students, STEAM night included activities for all the STEAM subjects. “There are many activities being prepared. One stand will have stomp rockets, which you can shoot. Another will have volcanoes. There is also a mural. Not only that, there will also be catapults which you make! Another stand is an activity involving earthworms, where you make your own habitat,” Caylee Lawley (8), a STEAM participant, explained. Lawley also mentioned that a few activities will be provided by the Discovery Center. Lawley ran her own stand called “Earth and Earthworms” at the event.

In addition to the STEAM event in the middle school commons, the gifted program will be taking a trip to Silver Dollar City on Thursday, April 21st, in order to take part of the Math and Science day. “Students ride the different roller coasters and they gather times and with that, they can calculate speed and acceleration. They wear vests that gather real time information wirelessly that is transferred to a laptop so they can calculate what they experienced and give it real world relevance,” Annual ‘For Kids by Kids’ Event Applies Math and Science to Daily Life by Joshua Clark on bransontrilakesnews.com revealed, qt. Washburn. “The purpose of “Math and Science day” is to make up for the lack of practical application, which oftentimes is unavailable in classrooms.”

Unlike previous years, the gifted program this year is offered during specific hours of the day, rather than as a full-day class. Hubbard elaborated, “Previously, middle school gifted students had a designated day and time to come to the gifted class. This was an issue because many students didn’t want to miss band, advanced math, etc… Now, students choose their own schedules. Students can choose their units of study and which class periods that best fit their schedule/interests. Students come to me for 2 regular class periods and one 8th hour block.” Gifted hours are Wednesday and Thursday from 5th-8th hours.