Cindy Sparks Soars High Above the Eagles Nest

May 24, 2022

Cindy Sparks practicing with her Singing Eagles. (photo taken by Evyn Jones)

Since the Fall of 1980, Cindy Sparks, the former music instructor for Fair Grove schools, has passed on her harmonious expertise through generations of young Fair Grove students. 

For over four decades, Mrs. Sparks has worked with Fair Grove as the school’s musical instructor. Even after her retirement from the official elementary music teacher, she is still in and out of the classroom spreading her knowledge to the subject. Not only is she involved with accompanying instrumental soloists and ensembles through the high school and middle school, but she has also started a new generation of young choir students. Around Fair Grove, this group is commonly known as the Singing Eagles.

Before the beginnings of the Singing Eagles there hadn’t been any elementary choir groups at Fair Grove. Sparks explained, “Starting the Singing Eagles is one of my greatest accomplishments. It introduces the students to performing in a choir setting. This will eventually carry over with them to middle school and high school choir. We’ve had the privilege to perform at so many really neat events. Oftentimes we perform at tree lighting ceremonies at the Mill, Bass Pro Shops, Springfield and St. Louis Cardinals games, the Hulston Cancer Center, and countless music festivals.”

Over the years, Mrs. Sparks has gotten to work with many other Fair Grove music department directors including Audra Harmon, the high school and middle school music/choir teacher. Harmon stated, “I have had the pleasure of working with Mrs. Sparks for the last nine years. She accompanies us on a daily basis, which means that I don’t have to. She takes time out to work with solos and ensembles that are preparing for their competitions. She is a friend and mentor to me. I wouldn’t know how to properly run a choir without her.”

It is clear that Mrs. Sparks has firmly established herself within the Fair Grove community. Sparks added, “There are so many memories that I cannot name only one. I love getting to work with students, I get to see them grow up and it is always fun to see what they accomplish with their lives. My favorite thing about Fair Grove is the family atmosphere. This is such a supportive, caring, generous community. I have been so blessed to be a part of this amazing school for so many years.” 

Time after time, young and old attendees of Fair Grove school have grown up around Mrs. Sparks and knows the impact and importance she has made on this community. Sparks plans to continue her path of acquainting the young future of Fair Grove through music.

View Comments(1)

• G

Gigi HunterMay 24, 2022 at 5:30 pm

I had the privilege of working with Mrs. Sparks for 22 years when I was Elementary School Librarian. She has always been a supporter of our students and their families. Fair Grove is certainly blessed to have Cindy Sparks as a part of our school family.

Reply
1