SADD Kicking Off the School Year

October 4, 2022

SADD officers working the kickoff event. (Photo taken by Piper Logan)

Friday, September 9th, SADD hosted their annual kickoff event after the football game in the high school gym to start the year off.

SADD (Students Against Destructive Decisions) is a club in the Fair Grove High School that focuses on keeping high school students away from dangerous decisions that could potentially harm their future. 

Lindsay Dunning, the sponsor of the club, played a huge role in making the SADD kickoff possible. “To prepare for this year’s kickoff, I asked several of our members what they enjoyed about last year’s event and what they would change. I used their ideas, and started making phone calls to get the inflatables and pizza ordered,” said Dunning. There are less SADD cabinet members compared to previous years, so they all played important roles in the kickoff. 

“A lot of the inflatable rentals and things like that were taken care of by Dunning. But, we did things like put together a promotion video and do a bulletin board! Our social chairs Camille Boyer and Olivia Brumfield did an amazing job of putting it together,” explained SADD Vice President, Hannah Bruner. 

At the kickoff, the kids played with inflatable courses, where they could be competitive with each other, and ate pizza while playing other games, or talking amongst their friend groups. Sophomore, Atticus Brandes’s favorite part of the kickoff was that he could, “Pay for my SADD dues for the year and to have fun at the same time. I heard that there would be billiards there and I thought that that would be a fun time.” Along with that, Willow Buescher (9) added, “I enjoyed racing through the bounce house obstacle course with my friends.” Even the SADD cabinet members and officers got a chance to hang out with their friends and run through the obstacle course as well, while still ensuring every station was running smoothly. 

The SADD team already has exciting plans for the year. Dunning announced, “The details of October SADD events are still in the works, however, October is always a big month for us since it is Red Ribbon Week. Red Ribbon Week is a national event that focuses on saying ‘no to drugs.’  The meeting is going to have games and fun activities, while also bringing discussion and awareness to the topic of that month.”