Cops Chased the Robbers to a Tough Loss

October 4, 2022

The robbers team cheerleaders performing for their team. (Photo by Baily Carll.)

The Powderpuff game took place Thursday, September 22 at 7pm. The event was open to the public, admission was $1, and all proceeds were donated to Care to Learn.

“Powder Puff has been a Fair Grove tradition since long before I was here. I think it’s a wonderful opportunity to give back to the community and have fun doing it,” Braden Booth (12), the Vice President of FBLA, said.

Powderpuff is a flag football game hosted once a year intended for community service, put on jointly by the Future Business Leaders of America and Distributive Education Clubs of America school functions. In Powderpuff, the cheerleaders are male students, and are coached by varsity cheerleaders. Female students play the flag football game itself, but are coached by varsity football players. One of the sponsors for FBLA, Cayse Overstreet, shared, “we do not host practices but the coaches are encouraged to practice running routes and cheer routines in advance. All participants are required to wear their assigned powderpuff-themed shirt. This year the theme is Cops vs. Robbers.” According to Lauren Thomlinson (12), the FBLA president and DECA vice president, FBLA members can also volunteer to coach other players or cheerleaders.

Powderpuff is a great event we put on to help benefit the community and build school spirit. It’s fun to see everyone out to support the school and donate to a good cause,” Booth explained, “You have to be an FBLA member to play. Anyone can join FBLA, and we highly encourage everyone to give it a shot as it can be very beneficial as you move past high school.”

Booth encourages people to go to Powderpuff and get involved if they can. To join FLBA and participate, the initial dues owed amount is $10, and their meetings generally take place on the first Thursday of every month in the library. According to Jalen Supancic, one of the other sponsors for FBLA, participating in the club even once in your high school career can look good on a college resume for one reason: it’s a business club. 

At the end of the year, FBLA has an “incentive trip” in order to encourage students’ participation. To be allowed to join, students must have paid their dues, and have taken part in at least three events. Participation can include taking part by volunteering in any events they put on, competing (in events such as Powderpuff), or helping run the seasonal blood drives.