Getting to Know NHS

October 6, 2022

Lauren Thomlinson and Olivia Brumfield working the High School Coffee Shop. (Photo by Ivy Wehmeyer)

Fair Grove’s National Honor Society started the 2022-2023 school year discussing their ideas on how to improve the school’s academics and community. 

The National Honor Society is a club at Fair Grove that includes students that are pushing to improve their community around them by volunteering and getting more involved. Part of their involvement includes students directly by their tutoring program and new freshman orientation. The students of NHS are described as high achieving and highly involved within the community. The club gives these students a chance to help within their community even more. This includes volunteer work such as walks to raise awareness, Convoy of Hope food drives, and building a stronger community.  

NHS has a few determining factors to get into the club which includes 3.5 or more GPA, strong leadership, being an upperclassman, and having strong teacher recommendations. Mrs. Johnson, the sponsor of NHS, stated, “I have been doing NHS for 15 years.” Along with Mrs. Johnson there are also student leaders, these people being Cooper Zumwalt (12), Lauren Thomlinson (12), Madilyn Eillis (12), Joey Oliver (12), Isabella Hammonds (12), and Haydn Hall (12). These are some of the Fair Grove seniors who are exceptional in their academics and extracurriculars to represent Fair Grove’s NHS. 

The benefits to this club reach beyond the students and activities that are currently taking place. The freshman orientation can really be a step forward to some future NHS members. It gives the new high schoolers something to work towards to achieve something bigger than themselves. The tutoring program is a constant help to the current students of Fair Grove and helps contribute to the NHS members learning how to work within the school. Their goals and aspirations are to improve the functions of our community. Alyssa Snitker (11) explained, “Our Biggest accomplishment is giving back to our community.” 

Just like most clubs, NHS has meetings arranged monthly where they discuss what is up and coming. At the moment they are doing the school’s coffee shop, Lauren Thomlinson and Olivia Brumfield are two members of NHS who help with this. Thomlinson stated, “I think it’s very fun to work at the coffee shop because it makes the 8th hour go by super fast.” The positive take on one of the responsibilities is a great example of NHS members and how they learn to build their character in serving humbly. 

The many opportunities help these students to develop into a selfless individual and to be highly achieving in their academic and extracurricular roles. These things give chances to raise money for good causes and it isn’t for their own profit but for their community. Mrs. Johnson added, “Students that join the NHS gain an understanding on how beneficial and personally rewarding volunteering can be.”